Sunday, April 11, 2010

DZOIC CLIPHOUSE Video Sharing Script REVIEW

Overview

This is a relatively new product in the market. You can hardly find any reviews on it on the web. Their knowledge base is pretty small. They have a members forum with a lot of complaints from customers on how tech support takes too long to (or never) respond.

I have evaluated different video sharing scripts on the market including Clipshare the most popular one. All of them have similar features but only Cliphouse beat the others with their Video Ads plug-in. The Cliphouse admin has the ability to configure different banners (mid-rolls, pre-rolls, etc) to display on a specific video or a category of videos. Other scripts, including Clipshare can only set mid-roll ads for all videos. This was the primary reason why I chose Cliphouse.

After an impressive online demo of Cliphouse, we decided to purchase their product along the following:

1. Script installation option - They do the installation of the script on your server.
2. Branding free option - They remove all links to DZOIC on your site.
3. Load balance plug-in - For better performance on a multi-server setup. I haven't used up my credit for this yet.
4. Server setup option - They configure the modules on your server to make sure everything works properly. I haven't used my credit for this yet. I'm saving it for a rainy day.
5. Video ads plugin - For advertising on the video player. The main reason I chose this product.

Cliphouse has a hosting partner called DHS. We chose Vexxhost hosting instead of DHS for price reasons. DHS hosting was more expensive and had less storage. We chose Shared hosting to see if the product works the cheapest way possible.

Problems Encountered

1. Failed to find flength file

The Cliphouse script installation was almost useless. They just install the script and leave you to do the rest of the configuration. For instance, after script installation, I tried uploading a 2MB video, and I immediately got the popular "Failed to find flength file" problem. I went to their knowledge base and they had the solution for this:

a) First of all make sure that /cgi-bin/ directory and file /cgi-bin/ubr_upload.pl have 755 permissions.
b) Make sure uploader/tmp has write permissions.

So i did both these, and the uploader started working.

2. Progress bar not working

The uploader worked now. The only thing I couldn't see was the progress bar. I didn't find anything on the knowledge base for this so I just dug into the PHP code. The problem was that the div for the progress bar was pointing to a background image that wasn't existing. So I just put a background color on that div and now i could see the progress bar.

3. Videos do not show up or Unfortunately Video May Not Be Converted

This issue was a pain. This problem was intermittent and I couldn't figure out why it was happening for most videos i uploaded. As soon as you upload a video, you get redirected to a page that says the video was uploaded successfully. But then your video is nowhere to be found on the site. Then you notice a message from Admin saying that the video was deleted because the video could not be converted. The solution for this was to specify the correct path for the following: ffmpeg, flvtool2, mencoder, mplayer. So on Cliphouse admin, you just go to Setup -> Paths and enter the correct paths to those encoders. For vexxhost the paths are typically these:

/usr/local/vencode/bin/ffmpeg
/usr/local/vencode/bin/flvtool2
/usr/local/vencode/bin/mencoder
/usr/local/vencode/bin/mplayer

If you are not sure about the paths, ask your hosting provider. If you have access to the console. Type whereis ffmpeg and it will give you the path for it.

4. Progress Bar gets stuck and 500 Internal Server Error

Now this was a major frustration. Sometimes when I upload a video, it would get stuck at a random point. For example, after waiting for an hour the progress bar would get stuck at 99% and throw an Internal Server Error. Sometimes it would get stuck at 15% or 60%. Cliphouse Tech support took 2 weeks to get back to me with no solution to the problem. They told me to change the default uploader, UBER-UPLOADER to Uploadify, a JQuery uploader. I started scratching my head because I have tried Uploadify and i am familar with what it does. I don't think the problem here was the uploader. There were 2 things I suspected, it could either be a problem with the Cliphouse script or a problem with the my Hosting provider, Vexxhost. I contacted Vexxhost and asked them if I could upgrade to VPS hosting. VPS hosting is like having a dedicated server but on a VM (virtual machine). If you're familiar with VMWare or VirtualPC, you'll know what i'm talking about. To my surprise it did solve the problem! Now I could upload videos smoothly without errors.


5. Audio and Video not in sync

I am stuck with this now. The synchronization problem is very obvious and I am still waiting for a reply from DZOIC. Vexxhost says this is not a hosting problem since it involves encoding and it's most probably the script. I am hoping to get a solution to this the soonest. If not, then I am gonna have to look for a different video sharing software.

CONCLUSION

To conclude, DZOIC Cliphouse is a very good product (if you get it to work). It has lots of great features and very easy to use. I looked at the source code and it is very well written. Installation is easy and the admin tool is very powerful. But they need to focus and invest more on customer support. We bought the Cliphouse script a month ago and we haven't gotten it to work properly. This is a very bad experience and can cause their customers to get frustrated and just look for a different product. As for me, I still have credit for the Server Installation. This is my last option. If they don't get this thing to work properly, Goodbye Cliphouse!

UPDATE (Nov 19, 2010)

Tried it on DHS Shared Hosting and i'm getting that #5 error again.  I had the script installed by DZOIC.  Well i think they outsourced the installation  because it was a guy named Frank R. from to Fandar-IT who installed the script.  So looks like DZOIC is really a failure.  I thought DZOIC and DHS were a perfect match.

11 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Did you get this working? I am currently in talks with these people who will possibly design a custom site for us, but after reading this review I am a little concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope I couldn't get it working. I gave up. My best bet is that you purchase Cliphouse hosting on DHS Hosting which is DZOIC's partner. It just wouldn't work properly with other hosting companies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Nice sharing Now I am using a Cliphouse Script in my site www.champtube.com and its working very well. Also I am install a Multi Load Server in my site. It was great tool running your site smoothly. I was experience same just like you DZOIC Team personally I feel they don't care own customer problems and that time I was so frustrated but thanks to my web hosting provider PacificHost.com they solved my all problems. I have very good experience with PacificHost team they are always look after own customer problem and quickly solved. I recommend you try to pacifichost service I hope your all problems solve. One thing more I am not a member of pacifichost company. I hope you understand what I mean? this is sincerely advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Champtube, i guess i might try PacificHost. Cliphouse won't even work on DHS. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Guillermo Misa you well come and best of luck. One thing more you mentioned about your introduction you are software developer. Did you have experiences about web development. Because I am looking someone person he work in cliphouse script modification as per my need. If you have experience about this script then please tell me what you think about it.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Did they ever get back to you about the video/audio sync problem?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brown Bear: Unfortunately not. I've given up on DZOIC. I hope something better comes out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    So, have you found something better than DZOIC?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI..
    Exceeded all of these problems and have solve them
    And also I worked on the development of Style full script and add some features that I need
    But the only problem I can not be resolved "Convert Video"
    Some videos are converted and works well and others are being converted and working, but become Length 1 second, is it one can help me?

    www.badoobook.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adel hakim i was same facing that problem with DZOIC Cliphouse. i think they really don't care about own customers and also there have some problems with DZOIC Clip house script. if they could not resolve your problems then last thing they advice you "may be problems in your server hosting plan" its very easy excuse they given you.

    ReplyDelete